Set in the heart of the serene Cumbum Valley, at Lower Camp, Harvest Fresh Farms is a Certified organic farm, flanked by mountains that kiss the clouds with streams gushing down its slopes and lush farmlands.
A charming bullock cart ride takes the visitor to the organic farm that grows pomegranates as it chief harvest along with papaya, grapes, mango, passion fruit, sapota, coconut, tender coconut, jackfruit and an apiary that produces the finest honey.
A walk that heals. Harvest Fresh Farms reinforces what the Sages of ancient times have prescribed, that a taking deep breaths while walking through a herbal garden can bring healing & good health. An aesthetically laid out herbal garden with more than 150 herbs planted with care provides guests a rejuvenating experience.
The Periyar Tiger Reserve
Lying close to the plantations, in the rich jungles of Periyar in Thekkady is one of the world’s most fascinating natural wildlife reserves – the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Covering 777 sq. kilometres, of which 360 sq. kilometres is thick evergreen forest; the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary was declared a Tiger Reserve in 1978.Nature Walk, Border Hiking, Bamboo Rafting, Jungle Patrol, Tribal Heritage, Jungle Inn, The Bamboo Grove, Green Mansions and Bullock cart ride are the various eco-tourism programmes at the Reserve. Bookings done in Periyar Tiger Reserve- Eco Tourism Tel: 91-4869-222027 Entry timing: 0600 – 1800 hrs.
Boat Ride on Periyar Lake
Timings: 0700, 0930, 1130, 1400, 1600 hrs. The Forest Department (Ph:322028) and the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation Ltd. (Ph: 322023) conduct boating trips from Thekkady.
Mangala Devi Temple
This ancient temple is hidden in the dense woods at the top of a peak 1,337 metres above sea level. Built in the traditional Kerala style of architecture, this place is open to the public only once in a year during the ChitraPoornima festival. The peak commands a panoramic view of the eastern slopes of the Ghats and some gorgeous hill villages of Tamil Nadu. Permission to visit the area can be obtained from the Wildlife Warden, Thekkady (Ph.0486-322027)
Spice Plantations Tour
Inhale and exhale the lovely scents on this tour, as you visit the tea, coffee, cardamom, pepper and orange plantations, along with the stunning Anayirangal Dam.
Thekkady is a lovely place to indulge in trekking. Kurisumala, Pullumedu and Ottakathalamedu near Kumily and Grampi near Vandiperiyar are ideal trekking places. One can also take the Forest Department daily treks from the boat landing station at Thekkady to the Nellikkampetty area and Manakkavala.Booking can be made with the Wildlife Preservation Officer, Thekkady (Ph:0486-322027, 322028).
One can take elephant rides through the jungle and really enjoy the beauty that is Thekkady. The Forest Department, Thekkady offers facilities for elephant rides through the jungle. Time: 1000 – 1700 hrs. Tickets are available from the Wildlife Information Counter. Ph:0486-322028.
Three hours of trekking programme along with an experience guide who will take the group to a slight trekking adventure across the hills and jungle of Gavi.
Tourist visiting Gavi can enjoy the sight of wildlife in their natural habitat through Jeep safaris. Gavi is a home to over 260 species of birds including the great pied hornbill, woodpecker, and kingfishers.
Go boating on the crystal clear Gavi reservoir and Kochupamba to take home memory of a lifetime that remains as clear as the Gavilake. Row boating facility is available at Gavi. Tourist wearing lifejackets is a must. Rowing along the emerald hued natural backdrop is a welcome change from everyday monotony. Get adventurous spirit at Gavi.
Gavi is a fertile land and the local’s mastery over the land has blessed the land with vegetation. A leisure visit to the nearby cardamom plantation, tea estate and the local factory is a sight to behold.
Gavi is 28 kms south west of Vandiperiyar, a town in N.H 220 the highway connecting Kollam and Madurai, which itself is 14 kms from Kumily,near Thekkady. Entry passes must be obtained from the Forest Check Post enroute at Vallakkadavu. Advance booking with the Kerala Forest Development Corporation Ltd. is highly appreciable wherein such formalities will be taken care of by the Company itself.
The charms of Vagamon hill station is peacefully nested in the border of Idukki-Kottayam district in Kerala at an altitude of 1100 meters from the sea level. Gentle breeze, rain drop, golden hue, dense virgin forest, meandering rivulets, cascading waterfalls and verdant greenery from pine trees and meadows are the astonishing colors of Vagamon.
It is a popular Christian pilgrim and community for spiritual seekers. Kurisumala is well known for pure honey and milk production.
Vagamon lake is amazingly surrounded by the mist covered mountains and lush greenery. Boat ride in this lake is most loved activity among tourists.
The picturesque surrounding beauty makes trekking routes more interesting . Paragliding is another adrenaline pumping activity to be enjoyed.
Policies of Harvest Fresh Organic Farm Stay
Amenities of Harvest Fresh Organic Farm Stay
Air Condition 24 hrs hot water Generator back up Rates are inclusive of Bed & Breakfast TV, living room, kitchenette, dining room, fridge, board games, library shelf, magazine, doctor on call, housekeeping. 24 x 7 Power Air-conditioning in Bedrooms Books/Magazines Housekeeping Linen Provided Microwave Shower Television
Guest Reviews (0 reviews)
Activities On the farm
- Take a walking tour of the farm with a guide or staff member
- Take a tour of the herbal garden & learn about the special plants
- Climb atop the Watch Tower 1 and enjoy commanding views of the valley
- Trek to the farthest end of the farm to the Watch tower 1 carrying a picnic basket laden with goodies. Spend an hour or two taking in the 360˚ view of the mountains, the green valley and the cool breezes
- Have a meal set for you privately on the top end of the farm, surrounded by pomegranate trees laden with fruit, with only the mountains as witness
- Cycle around the valley or even up to Kumily town enjoying the adrenaline rush
- Feed the ducks & hens in their pens
- Visit the cows in their manger
- Spend a lazy afternoon playing the board games available in house
- Relax with a book from the farm’s well stocked library
Near the farm
- Farmers market at Cumbum – 15 mins - visit Cumbum market between 5:30am and 11 am. Watch farmers bring in their freshly harvested produce and sell them at government regulated prices
- Suruli falls – ½ hour – trek up a steep but short climb to the Suruli falls, a stream that passes through 9 kms of herbal forest to cascade gently over rocks.
- Valley drive – 45mins – take a drive around the Cumbum valley to see farms growing a variety of produce from vegetables, tomatoes and onions to pomegranates, grapes and mangoes.
- Temple visit – There are a few temples in the area that are over a thousand years old and still operational. Some hewn out of rock and other built with carved rocks.
- Wholesale farmers market – 15 mins – A market where loads of produce are loaded on trucks and sold off to markets across the state borders in Kerala & other neighbouring states. There is no goevernmental supervision and hectic bargaining activity can be seen
- Lord Pennycuick Memorial – 10 mins – a memorial dedicated to Lord Pennycuick who was instrumental in providing water to irrigated the otherwise dry & barren lands of the Cumbum valley. He occupys the status of a hero in these parts.
- Periyar Tiger Reserve – 20 mins – visit the Periyar Tiger Reserve, one of the best maintained reserve forests in the world. Go on a boat cruise to the calm interiors of the dam catchment area, sight wildlife in their natural habitat, elephant herds, bison, foxes, wild dogs, hornbill and a variety of birds and animals.
- Kumily Town – 20 mins- indulge in retail therapy at the quaint Kumily town, buy spices, essential oils, tea and other local produce.